11 weeks after breaking hip Irvine puts in savage Norway ride

Posted on: August 12th, 2017

Martyn Irvine

Martyn Irvine drives on the front during the queen stage of the Arctic Race of Norway. He rode on the front for 100km less than three months after breaking his hip while racing in Belgium. That spill was on May 25th yet he is back at the pointy end of hard pro racing already.


Martyn Irvine puts in savage Norway ride


Less than three months after fracturing his hip Martyn Irvine has put in a savage ride at the Arctic Race of Norway.

The Aqua Blue Sport man sat on the front of the bunch for half of the queen stage today. He aided the chase of the breakaway with riders from other teams.

And when the escape was caught, his team mate Michel Kreder finished 4th on the stage. Kreder is now up to 3rd overall with just one stage remaining.

Irvine would ride hard on the front of the bunch during today’s queen stage despite suffering a broken hip at the Baloise Belgium Tour on May 25th.

The 184.5km trek today brought the riders through the spectacular Lyngen Alps.



An eight-man escape would ride clear in the first hour of racing, with king of the mountains Bernhard Eisel (Dimension Data) present.

With the big Austrian were: Truls Korsaeth (Astana), Ole Andre Austevoll (Coop) and Sébastien Delfosse (WB-Veranclassic).

They were joined by Hugo Hofstetter (Cofidis), Adrien Petit (Direct Energie), Boris Vallée (Fortuneo-Oscaro) and Daniel Diaz (Delko Marseille-Provence KTM).

They worked together to pull out a gap of almost four minutes at its maximum.

Eisel’s only interest was in winning climbers points. And once he collected as many of those as he was going to he went back to the bunch.

Up front a row ensued between Hofstetter and Korsaeth when the latter sat in but still contested the hotspot sprints.

The chase behind was aided by Aqua Blue Sport, with Matt Brammeier and Peter Konig present on the front, where Irvine had pulled hard for 100km.

The breakaway split and all were caught before the 5.2km – 4.9 per cent – ascent of Finnvikdalen to the finish.

Up the climb the field split to pieces, but Aqua Blue Sport’s Calvin Watson helped Kreder to maintain position.

And in the sprint for stage victory it was August Jensen (Team Coop) who took it from race leader Dylan Teuns (BMC) and Dorian Godon (Cofidis).

Teuns looked to have it won only for Jensen to come from a long way back. He would pip his rival by simply throwing his bike a little further in the lunge to the line.

The result left Teuns leading by three seconds from Jensen, who was 2nd on the opening stage. And Kreder is now in 3rd place at 17 seconds.

Martyn Irvine would finish in 98th in a large group 5:48 down, but having put in a huge day. Brammeier was 92nd and in the same group as Irvine.

The race concludes tomorrow with a 160km stage; seven climbs coming in the final 40km.